The Question of Scotland’s Independence
Not so long time ago, that is, 18 September 2014, Scotland has held a referendum on the question of gaining its independence and secession of the United Kingdom. The issue has a background of Scots aimed for the maximum of power being concentrated in their hands for beneficial ruling of their country. There is, also, a lengthy trentenary tradition of democratic contributions produced by the British Parliament’s organised Scottish politicians. Yet Scots have many rights under control of the United Kingdom, they are determined to get and keep complete independence of the state. Let’s try to consider whether or not Scotland can be focused on studying the pros and cons of the problem to grasp the phenomena from any perspective.
To continue with, it must be mentioned that the 2014 Scottish referendum has beautifully revealed the full image of the insecure opinions of Scots regarding their future. The proof of such a status is given by various surveys. Under the impact of this or that aspect, citizens appear to alter their beliefs. They are either for democracy or undetermined by option, and they can dramatically alter that tomorrow or embrace either of the sides. “It’s a race against time for the independence camp in many ways: the momentum has shifted towards independence over the last six months, but at least one-sixth of Scottish voters in recent polls said they were undecided or refused to respond” (Erlanger, 2014).
- Carell, S., Brooks, L., 2014. Is the Campaign for Scottish Independence Over? [Online] (updated 2 Oct. 2014) Available at: < http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/02/campaign-scottish-independence-over-yes-movement> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Erlanger, S., Bennhold. K., 2014. Scots Ponder: Should They Stay or Should They
- Go? [Online] (updated 26 Apr. 2014) Available at: <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/world/europe/scots-ponder-should-they-stay-or-should-they-go.html?_r=1> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Johnson, J., 2014. Independent Scots ‘must choose being Scottish and British’.
- [Online] (updated 6 Apr. 2015) Available at: < http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10903980/Independent-Scots-must-choose-between-being-Scottish-and-British.html > [Accessed 6 Mar. 2015].
- Macdonald, A., Taylor, P., 2014. Relief at Scotland’s ‘No’ Vote Tinged with Fear of Nationalism. [Online] (updated 19 Sep. 2014) Available at: < http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-scotland-vote-reaction-20140919-story.html#page=1> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Phipps, C., 2014. Scotland Independence: How Would Scotland Defend Itself?
- [Online] (updated 4 Sep. 2014) Available at: < http://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/sep/04/scottish-independence-scotland-defence-trident> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Reuters, 2015. Polls Show Scots’ Support for Independence Slightly behind on Eve of Referendum. [Online] (updated 17 Sep. 2015) Available at: < http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-scotland-independence-vote-20140917-story.html#page=1> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Reuters, 2014. Scotland Rejects Independence in Historic Vote. [Online] (updated 19Sep. 2014) Available at: < http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-scotland-rejects-independence-20140919-story.html#page=1> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Rutland, P., 2014. The Pros and Cons of Scottish Independence. [Online] (updated 23 Aug. 2014) Available at: < http://nationalismwatch.com/2014/08/23/scottish-independence-the-case-for-and-against/> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- Torrance, D., 2015. The Battle for Britain: Scotland and the Referendum
- Independence. Kindle Edition. Print.
- Tribute Vire Report, 2014. British PM Set to Warn Scotland of Dangers of Independence Vote. [Online] (updated 15 Sep. 2014) Available at: < http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-scotland-independence-vote-20140915-story.html> [Accessed 6 Mar. 2015].
- Whitaker, A., 2015. Half of Scots Think We Will Be Independent by 2025. [Online] (updated 16 Mar. 2015) Available at: <http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/half-of-scots-think-we-will-be-independent-by-2025-1-3719274> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].
- World Affairs, 2013. Scottish Independence: Key Questions Answered at the Pros and Cons. [Online] (updated 3 Dec. 2013) Available at: < http://defence.pk/threads/scottish-independence-key-questions-answered-on-the-pros-and-cons.289704/> [Accessed 6 Apr. 2015].